Student Spotlight - Debra Martin - Advanced Manufacturing Student



The Solutions Group – Student SPOTLIGHT!


Ms. Martin is a student at Arkansas Northeastern College in the Associate of Applied Science program - Advanced Manufacturing. Ms. Martin is a dedicated a student who spends all of her time taking care of her family, working, and attending classes. While working at NIBCO for over 2 years, she has been able to complete some of her classes online so it will not interfere with work. In July 2014, she was given the opportunity to become the industrial engineer technician.  Ms. Martin is on track to finish her AAS degree by Spring 2017.

Ms. Martin has recently completed a project for her employer, NIBCO, that allowed her to use her education, dedication, and previous knowledge/background to help save NIBCO money. See below information on the project and Ms. Martin's accomlishment!



Debra Martin (center)

 
"As an Industrial Engineer Technician at NIBCO INC of Blytheville, AR, I had the opportunity to review the manufacturing process of machining valve components. My team and I studied and reviewed over 246 SKU’s to search for a cost reduction. We implemented the following changes:

       New tooling was implemented to reduce cycle times.

       Machine fixtures were modified to reduce load/unload times as well as improve ergonomics.

       The need for coolant was eliminated during face milling operations.

       Tool Room drill sharpening was eliminated by going to insert style drills.

       Face milling and drilling speeds were increased to reduce time.

       Quality finishes were improved.

       Capacity hours were gained on the CNC mills to allow for future machining of parts to be machined complete.



The Total Savings for the project: $104,158 annually


In the end, the project provided many benefits to NIBCO. Standard Cost was improved, quality was enhanced, tooling costs, maintenance, repair, and downtime were reduced, and some fixtures were redesigned to improve ergonomics.


NIBCO INC has a program for teams, that have saved the company considerable amounts of money, to be rewarded. The projects are presented to the board of directors. The board of directors pick the teams from all the NIBCO INC plants. My team won one of the top Lee Martin ARE (Associate Recognition of Excellence) Awards. We each received a trophy, a ring, and $7,500.00.


My background: I have been employed with NIBCO INC for 2 years and 9 months. I was given the opportunity to become the industrial engineer technician in July of 2014. I enjoy my job and NIBCO INC is a great place to work. I am currently attending ANC pursuing my Associates in Applied Science - Advanced Manufacturing and hope to graduate Spring of 2017. My free time I spend, building my future home and with my two children." - Debra Martin

Blog By:
Stacey Walker
Coordinator, Industrial Training


Comments